Blog

Home / Blog

5 Good Reasons to Log Your Season

5 Good Reasons to log your season   "I think most of us would agree that having access to data is important, but many times we may fall short of setting a priority to collect it. The data that may seem to be insignificant today could be the very thing that protects us tomorrow." Is this a coach talking about the finer details of a swim season? Amazingly this quote comes from an article on the importance of logging in the workplace. A simple search of the "importance of logging" will show you that keeping a record is important to many fields of business and activities. A logbook is defined in boating as "a record of important events in the management, operation, and navigation of a ship." Similarly, your swim…
Read More

Your season is over. Now what?

Your season is over--Now what? 3 steps to get the most from your past season, and get the new season off to a great start! Look back--take inventory. After resting up, and taking some needed time off from the sport, use the time period at the end of the season/year to reflect, evaluate, and take serious inventory of your performance during the past season.  Do you feel you should have finished better? Placed better?  Had faster times? Was it worthwhile? Awards banquets offer a great opportunity for reflection—a symbolic bridge which covers the space between closing one season and beginning a new one.  One banquet I attended, a graduating senior was given time at the podium to address his teammates and gave a great example of reflection stating how in…
Read More

3 Steps to Define YOUR Success this season

3 Steps to Define YOUR Success this season How do you define success as you start this season? There are many answers to choose from--Is it simply "to win" or improve in some way?  Is it simply to "go faster"? Your answer is important because it will define how you approach the season ahead.   Everyone's answer will be different. IMPORTANT: Have a personal definition of what success will look like, from the small items to the big ones. There are some DO's and DON'Ts when it comes to defining success: Do: Establish your personal definition. Don't: Let someone else define success for you. Allowing someone else to define what it means for you to be a "success" is the quickest way to become robbed of any sense of satisfaction or…
Read More

Increase your chances of achieving your GOALs by up to 95%

The Odds Are In Your Favor! Swimming faster takes hard work, dedication and a drive to succeed. But did you know that according to numerous studies, there are certain things that can increase your odds of achieving your goals. Here is a breakdown on achieving goals based on how you approach them: Percentage chance of achieving your goal if it is just an idea in your head- 10% Percentage chance of achieving your goal if it has a deadline - 40% Percentage chance of achieving your goal if you write it down and have a detailed plan - 50% Percentage chance if you have all of the above and accountability - 65% Percentage chance if you have all of the above and set up regular appointments with your accountability person- 95%…
Read More
Inspiration

Inspiration

Every day, when you get up out of bed, there is something that inspires you to start your day.  Most of the time, it is things that you have to do, like go to school or work. But even when your energy can be focused on something just for you, there can be times you may have to reach to find the inspiration to keep going. Reach outward and reach inward for inspiration! Getting the motivation to move forward in the sport can come in different ways.    For the Olympic swimmer, the inspiration that drives them may be making an Olympic team or attaining a medal.  As age group swimmers, you may see those Olympic athletes as inspiration to keep focusing on your goals. It may not even be a swimmer who inspires you,…
Read More

Self-Reliance

“It’s the not the Destination, It’s the journey.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance “The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance “A man is relieved and happy when he has put his heart into his work and done his best.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance       Simply put; in the end it all comes down to you! Even though you have amazing support with coaches, teachers, parents and many other people in your life, when push comes to shove it comes down to the individual to be self-reliant and get the job done. The sport of swimming is a great example of individual achievement and the successes that can point to…
Read More

DEPENDABILITY

“You can pretend to care, but you can’t pretend to show up.” George L. Bell (1927-2007); “A man who lacks reliability is utterly useless.” Confucius (551-479)   Dependability can be synonymous with reliability and responsibility. If someone is dependable, they usually can be counted on to do the right thing and be where they need to be when they are supposed to be there. As swimmers, the above three words can be described as cornerstones for the sport.  If you don’t have these traits, you will struggle with the harsh reality that goes along with swim training and competition and your success will be limited. What does being dependable have to do with swimming?  The answer is two-fold:  the swimmer  depends on many factors including coaches, family, health and all the other external factors that contribute to their…
Read More

Ownership

 “Coach Belichick holds us accountable everyday. We appreciate when he’s tough on us. He gets the best out of us.” Tom Brady, New England Patriots   Ownership can be related to accountability. The ownership I am talking about is not related to owning any “thing” in particular, or purchasing an item; this is a discussion about the very muscle beating in your chest: …your heart and your heart alone. With every action you take there will be consequences to those actions, positive and negative. When we are talking about ownership in sports, it speaks to the will of the athlete to take ultimate responsibility for their actions, training, attendance, and attitude.  It is about knowing in your heart, that the work you put into your sport will be revealed in championship outcomes. The quote above is…
Read More

Energy

“Energy and persistence conquer all things.” Benjamin Franklin Energy–and specifically how to have more of it, is the topic for today. Everything we eat is converted into energy in our body.  The better mix of whole, nutritious foods, the better results for swimmers and all athletes. The foods your body converts to energy efficiently are healthy low fat, low sugar foods. I like using the analogy of a very expensive racing car–what type of fuel do you put in that car to make it go fast and perform at its best?  Certainly not the lowest grade, cheapest fuel. If you would want to put in the best fuel possible to attain the best results (high energy), for the car, then why wouldn’t you want to fuel your body to produce the same positive results? Don’t be decieved by the “bad” fuel (sugary, starchy…
Read More
GRATEFUL

GRATEFUL

  “Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.” John Wooden – most winning NCAA college basketball coach – UCLA   Every day is a new day to reflect and consider the things in your life that allow you to be grateful.  We are very fortunate to be able to live in such a great country and have the resources to live a very nice lifestyle.  Add into that equation the people in your world that contribute to the feeling of gratefulness:  your parents, teammates, teachers friends and coaches.  It really doesn’t take long to sit back and recognize all the blessings that surround your life. How do you integrate gratefulness into the sports world?  Just like the quote from the great John Wooden states:…
Read More