The 10-Percent Challenge
The key to success?
Not necessarily doing something big or spectacular–
But perfecting the little things over time.
- Are successful swimmers 100 times stronger?
- Are they 50 times more ambitious?
- Do they work 20 times harder?
- Do they have more hours in the day?
Not a chance. In fact, I would argue that you have what it takes to meet your goals, and the secret is in this challenge:
Just consider making small consistent 10% improvements.
What if you were just 10% faster this year than last year? What would that look like?
What if this week you made a 10% improvement on your breath-control over last week? How would that affect your race times?
Swimming is a sport where hundreths of a second make a difference. A tiny10% difference can and does separate first from last. Consider what a 10% improvement looks like on the following:
- Starts, turns, or finishes.
- Breath control.
- Kicking strength
You get the idea…
- With so many components to swimming mechanics, training and discipline, a 10-percent improvement in any area can mark a huge improvement in overall performance.
- What if you challenged yourself to be just 10-percent more excited, enthusiastic, dedicated, determined, organized and confident?
Strive for the 10-Percent!
- Take the 10-Percent Challenge this season.
- Strive to be just 10-percent better in everything you do.
In a 4,000 yard practice, there are 156 turns. Can you say every turn is done properly? Quickly? And with no breath off the wall?
- The 10% challenges means improving your turn focus by 10% each day/week of practice.
- The first week–focus on just 15 solid turns. (10% of 156).
- The second week–improve that by 10% and focus on 30 turns.
- Each week the challenge is to be 10% better than you were the previous week.
- By week 10 you will be challenging yourself to have 156 great turns–the whole practice…and you will have built a HABIT of fast turns, and not breathing off the wall, etc.
Find a chart for the 10-percent challenge in The Ultimate Swim Log and Goal Planner and track your 10% steps towards success.